Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Step 2: API decision OpenGL or DirectX

This step is a little hard, I need to choose what will be the API I will use to create my first game, in the future I will learn both but I need to start with something, this time I will focus my decision on the following principles:

1. I want to learn how to work with games (both will be handy for this)
2. The game is fairly easy and will not require tons of hardware/software to run, so I don't care which one is faster/better than the other.
3. I usually in love with the open source/freedom and dont like to be pressured to use something
4. The game will run mainly on desktop machines (Windows, Linux or Mac), some of the games will use the keyboard/mouse to run.

After reading this article http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX I decided that my first API will be OpenGL, and I will try to see how to use the MVC pattern in games in order to abstract the API usage, if I can achieve to run the game using directx and opengl will be great, but my first game will be as easy as it could, that's why I will not shoot myselft if I cannot manage to run it on directx too.

Ok, decision made, now is time to read a lot of OpenGL, to my advantage I have some knowledge about Qt so I could use the Qt-OpenGl interface and speed up the process, let's see how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment